Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Of course there is that whole title thing I do.

I'm not ritualistic. I don't have a lot of traditions. I don't even shower on any kind of reliable schedule.

Yeah, so? I live alone and I don't take public transportation. As long as I keep a can of Lysol by the door for when company drops by, where's the problem?

Ah you're just jealous.

Back to my point, if Muthering Heights is reading this she's probably experiencing a great galloping whallop of deja vu, because my opening statements are basically a repeat of a comment I left on her blog entry about traditions yesterday. It's certainly fair to say that her post helped inspire this one. It was the date, however, that instigated it.

December 01st. Is anybody else territorial about their birth month? That's right. I might not be ritualistic or traditional, but I'm hard core sentimental. I have no desire to relive or recreate any part of the past, I just don't want any of it to go anywhere. I'm alternating between writing this post and browsing vintage purses on-line. Guess how many of the ones I've earmarked remind me of my mother?

Hey, I'm a girl. It's not Hitchcockian for me to dress up like my dead mother. It's actually a really good idea. Mom always said I'd inheritted my father's sense of style. He of the self described "Chinese New Year" colour combinations, more popularly known on this continent as "Christmas decoration" colour combinations. When wearing his beloved bright red shirt and bright green pants combo stopped satisfying he painted our entire basement those colours. In high gloss paint. It looked like the dungeon where Santa keeps the mean elves. And yes, mom was right. I always did like the way he dressed. Even after I grew old enough to know better.

And now I manage both a roster of performers and a costume department. Yup, that means people have to wear what I tell them to. Adult people. If ever a job hiring deserved an evil laugh it was mine.

No no, I'm very careful not to dress other people up like me. I'm kind of Beethoveney that way. He could write the most delicately phrased passage in a symphony and then scream for peas at the dinner table like his underwear was on fire. I might look like a feral child raised at a flea market, but my performers are always polished.

December will always be my month. I was born in it, and I'm keeping it. I will always be my father's daughter, and I will always be reminded of him everywhere I look in December.

I guess I just don't feel a personal need for rituals or traditions. The world always manages to remind me of the things I want to remember without any help from me.

That all said, you know I'm going to be keeping this:


super awesome fox tail tie that I won from The Girl With the Flour in Her Hair over at her awesome blog Peeling An Orange With A Screwdriver for absolute ever. I just wish my father could have seen me in it.

Eh, it's probably just as well. He'd likely have just borrowed it and never returned the thing.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dropping by from SITS. I grew up with a lot of traditions, but not much ritual. Most of the traditions have not survived into adulthood, but I think if I had children, I would find myself resurrecting several of them.

Bombshell BLISS said...

I am so non-traditional. My mom was always trying to get me to do the traditions thing.

Can not doing traditions be a tradition?

Fire Byrd said...

Oh I can just see you as the Christmas Pixie dressed up in a multi coloured tutu and sparkling tights.
Good month December, even if I don't have a birthday in it.
xx

Tracie said...

My birthday is 12/13. When is yours?

(Forgive me if this is a duplicate comment. Blogger is acting wonky this am.)

Unknown said...

Great post! December is my birth month too and I'm looking at 68 on the 15th but Wii tells me I'm 59, so go figure.

Love the foxtail tie and positive your father would have borrowed it... for keeps.

Brian Miller said...

we typically make mexican on the night we trim the tree and top it off with key lime pie...that would be our tradition...nice tie by the way...happy birth month!

UberGrumpy said...

I did inherit my father's sense of style, alas. He was a sumo wrestler

Bad luck on the December birthday - bet you get lots of 'this'll do for b'day and christmas' presents.

Unknown said...

Love the tie...it definitely suits you!

HalfAsstic.com said...

Bwahaha! Very well said! I especially like the use of the word, "Hitchcockian"!

TheFrogBag said...

Bwahaha! I sometimes wonder if those of us born in the winter months are a little more eccentric than others. Personally, I'm hoping that my husband and I can start a new ritual of dressing up the dog in a Newtonmas outfit on the 25th (Newton's b-day too you know) but I've yet to find out what the dog thinks about that. Loved the description of your dad by the way. Sounds like a wonderful guy!

linlah said...

"Christmas decoration color combinations" a wonderfully worded visual.

gayle said...

I love traditions but with my daughters and the husbands schedules...I can't have any ...boo hoo

secret agent woman said...

Lysol. Ha ha. Love th e tie, though. Have you seen the Fantastic Mr. Fox? You may have mentioend that already, I'm brand new to your blog.

Joanna Jenkins said...

I'm supposed to take a "white elephant" gift to a holiday party-- I think I just found a great gift idea :-)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY

jj


About Me

My photo
Alberta, Canada
Quality blog entertainments delivered in a convenient, electronic format, and widely read by the sexiest, most intelligent, and wittiest people on the internet - all of whom practice exemplary personal hygiene.